Friday, October 15, 2010

Digital Sculpting

Without going in to all the positives and negatives of sculpting digitally (as they have been hashed out over and over at this point) I will say that I found it advantageous to learn the process. There are certain things that can be done digitally now that have made hands on fabricating obsolete. Especially when it comes to hard edge symmetrical modeling and weapon fabrication. There is no point even trying to do that stuff by hand anymore when it can be done so easily and cost effectively in 3d programs. Anyway this monster I'm showing here is completely of my own creation and was the first 'complete' digital project that I tackled. I had it printed by Ownage. It was definitely a learning experience and I can already see things that will approach differently next time. But overall I would call the experiment a success. I finished this model after studying ZBrush and Maya intensely over a 3 week time period. I then modeled this over the span of a week, learning as I went. At times I was so frustrated I nearly gave up on digital modeling all together but in the end I think it was worth it. I see myself doing this a lot more in the future. To be honest I will always prefer the old wax and dental tool methods but for commercial work, no one can deny that digital modelling is the future of the collectibles industry.




1 comment:

Glauco Longhi said...

Hey Ehren, can see that you're studying zbrush and it looks great mate.

Well, let me know if you need any help with this, will be my pleasure to help a fellow skateboarder.

glauco.longhi@gmail.com

Keep rocking!